Dublin, Sept. 14, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The “Germany B2C e-Commerce Market Opportunity Data Book – Over 100 KPIs across e-commerce verticals (shopping, travel, dining, media and entertainment , Technology), Market Share by Key Players, Sales Report Channel Analysis, Payment Instrument, Consumer Demographics – Q2 2022 Update” has been added to from ResearchAndMarkets.com offer.
The B2C market in Germany is expected to grow by 19.97% on an annual basis to reach US$56,306.0 million in 2022.
The medium to long-term growth story of Germany’s B2C e-commerce industry promises to be compelling. B2C e-commerce is expected to grow steadily over the forecast period, registering a CAGR of 13.62% during 2022-2026. The gross value of the country’s B2C e-commerce goods will increase from US$46,933.0 million in 2021 to US$93,843.4 million by 2026.
In Germany, the B2C e-commerce industry is growing and is expected to perform even better over the next three to four years. One of the channels that brands use to reach their target audience is social media platforms. During the pandemic, shoppers were forced to turn to online shopping channels as physical retail was closed. However, the increased operational efficiency and top-notch customer service offered by e-commerce players has resulted in unprecedented satisfaction among German shoppers.
In Germany, the mobile shopping trend is increasingly dominant, with a large percentage of overall e-commerce transactions coming from purchases made using smartphones and tablets. This trend is expected to accelerate over the next three to four years as social commerce grows in Germany. While online shopping has increased across different product categories, pet supplies, drugstore products and groceries saw strong growth in 2021, following strong growth in 2020.
E-commerce marketplaces target high-end fashion segment to drive transaction value and revenue in Germany
Amid fierce competition in Germany’s e-commerce industry, players are targeting the high-end fashion segment, which is gaining popularity among consumers, to boost their transaction value and revenue.
- In June 2022, Amazon, one of the major players in the German e-commerce industry, announced the launch of its luxury stores in Germany. The company plans to generate more transactions on its platform through luxury stores, thereby generating additional revenue.
- At launch, the firm made eight brands available to consumers. These include Dundas, Mira Mikati, Christopher Kane, Elie Saab, Rianna + Nina, Jonathan Cohan and others. With more fashion brands to be added in the future, the launch of its luxury boutiques in Germany is part of the company’s strategy to diversify its product offerings and target fashion-loving customers in Germany.
Global e-commerce players expand presence in Europe by launching services in Germany
Amid the growing number of shoppers flocking to e-commerce platforms in Germany, global e-commerce players are launching their platforms in Germany to expand their footprint in Europe.
- In June 2022, JohnBeerens.com, the Netherlands-based online beauty retailer, announced that the company was expanding its presence in the German market.
- Similarly, in May 2022, Trendyol, the Turkish e-commerce platform, announced that the company was launching operations in the German market. Trendyol offers products in different categories in Turkey, including fashion, food, and grocery. The presence of these global e-commerce platforms in the German market will intensify competition and innovation in the e-commerce sector over the next three to four years.
Germany-based tour and activity platforms enter into strategic partnerships to distribute their products on global online travel booking platforms
- In September 2021, GetYourGuide, a Germany-based tours and activities platform, announced that the company had entered into a strategic alliance with Expedia, allowing the latter to distribute products for the German company.
- Expedia’s new strategy to open the business to third-party inventory enables collaboration between the two companies, in which Expedia customers can search and book content from GetYourGuide on the Expedia website.
On-demand grocery delivery platforms seek global expansion through M&A deals
Globally, the pandemic outbreak has accelerated the rise of the on-demand grocery sector, and the industry is expected to continue its growth trajectory over the next three to four years.
Amid this projected growth, Germany-based on-demand grocery delivery platforms are eyeing global expansion through mergers and acquisitions.
- In January 2022, Gorillas, one of Germany’s leading on-demand grocery delivery startups, announced that the company had entered acquisition talks with Frichti, a delivery giant based in France. If the acquisition is successful, Gorillas should further strengthen its position in the French market, where the firm has already opened 22 dark stores in five major cities in 2021.
- Together, the businesses should offer customers meal kits, private label products, groceries and other local products. Frichti was one of the pioneers in the fast food and ready meals segment in particular. Founded in 2015, the French company is one of the few fast delivery startups with profitable operations.
- Similarly, in May 2022, Flink, another German grocery delivery startup, announced the acquisition of its French rival, Cajoo. This acquisition should give Flink access to Carrefour, one of the main French grocery chains. Flink will notably have 30 micro-distribution centers in nine cities in France, allowing the company to reach 6 million customers. As Flink experiences rapid growth in the European region, Gorillas is expanding its presence globally in some of the largest online grocery delivery markets. For instance,
German food delivery group increases stake in national and global food delivery platform
During the global pandemic outbreak, online food delivery platforms have benefited from an increase in demand. However, businesses are concerned that business will persist as restaurants reopen. Consequently, a race to new markets and early consolidation moves have led to cross-holdings in the sector.
- In December 2021, German food delivery group Delivery Hero announced that the company had acquired around 39.4% of Glovo, the Spanish delivery app. Prior to its investment in Glovo, the company acquired a minority stake in Berlin-based grocery delivery company Gorillas. Notably, Delivery Hero invested a total of US$235 million in Gorillas in October 2021, earning it an 8% stake in the fast-growing startup. In August 2021, Delivery Hero also invested in UK rival Deliveroo, claiming a 5.09% stake.
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and future growth dynamics
- Gross Commodity Value Trend Analysis
- Analysis of trends in the average value per transaction
- Trend Analysis of Gross Merchandise Volume
Germany User Statistics and Key Performance Indicator Ratios
- User statistics
- Card abandonment rate and product return rate
- B2C e-commerce per capita and GDP per capita
- GDP per capita trend analysis
Germany B2C e-commerce market share by major players
- Germany e-commerce retail market share by top players (Amazon, Lidl, MediaMarkt, OTTO, Zalando)
- Germany travel e-commerce market share by major players (Booking.com, Expedia, FlixBus, HolidayCheck, Trivago)
- Germany Food E-Commerce Market Share by Top Players (Lieferando, Wolt, Uber Eats, HelloFresh, Gorillas)
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and forecast by B2C e-commerce segments (gross merchandise value trend analysis, 2017-2026)
- Retail (distribution by clothing, footwear and accessories, health, beauty and personal care, food and beverages, appliances and electronics, home improvement, books, music and video, toys and hobbies, automotive)
- Travel and hospitality (distribution by air transport, train and bus, taxi service, hotels and resorts)
- Online restaurant service (distribution by aggregators, direct to consumer)
- Media and entertainment (breakdown by streaming services, movies and events, theme parks and games)
- health and wellbeing
- Technology products and services
- Other Segments
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and forecast by retail channel
- Consumer Platform
- Direct to consumer
- consumer to consumer
Germany B2C e-commerce market share by travel and hospitality sales channel
- Market share by travel and hospitality sales channel
- App Aggregator – Gross Commodity Value Trend Analysis
- Direct to Consumer – Gross Goods Value Trend Analysis
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and forecast by online foodservice sales channel
- Aggregation app
- Direct to consumer
Germany B2C E-commerce Market Size and Forecast by Engagement Model (Gross Goods Value Trend Analysis, 2017-2026)
- Based on website
- Live broadcast
Germany B2C E-commerce Market Size and Forecast by Location (Gross Goods Value Trend Analysis, 2017-2026)
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and forecast by device (Gross Goods Value Trend Analysis, 2017-2026)
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and forecast by operating system
- Other operating systems
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and forecast by city
Germany B2C e-commerce market size and forecast by payment instrument (gross merchandise value trend analysis, 2017-2026)
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Prepaid card
- Digital and mobile wallet
- Other digital payment
B2C e-commerce consumer demographics in Germany
- Market share by age group
- Market share by income level
- Market share by gender
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/qkaah6